Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Merry Christmas

By Lee Ann Thomas, Housing Program Manager

This past December I was invited to Freida’s Christmas Open House. My Mainstream program gave her the opportunity for the first time in her 56 years to have a place and call it “HOME”. Freida, without the Mainstream program and a wonderful guardian, would not be able to live on her own. Freida has lived in group homes and institutions all her adult life.

When I was there, she wanted to show me a beautiful 7 foot white Christmas tree that she picked out herself, this was her first Christmas tree and she was proud! Freida doesn’t talk much but the look on her face and her smile said everything. Freida feels very safe with her guardian and now that she has her own place I believe that Freida will only blossom with the love and care that is in place for her. It snowed the day of Freida’s open house and as I left her apartment I knew the real meaning of Christmas!

Image: Lee Ann, Freida, her Guardian & Christmas Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment